Certain models of Vitodens 200-W and Vitodens 222-F boilers recalled due to carbon monoxide hazard
Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC) and Viessmann Manufacturing Company Inc. have issued a joint recall for certain models of Vitodens 200-W and Vitodens 222-F boilers due to a carbon monoxide hazard. These boiler models are used for space or domestic water heating. The product name and model number can be found on the left side of the boiler cover. The serial number can be found on the underside of the boiler.
The following products are affected:
|Product Number||Model||Part Number||Serial Numbers (Affected Range)|
|Vitodens 200-W||B2HB 19||7538092||7538092401003107 to 7538092701038106|
|B2HB 26||7538093||7538093401002107 to 7538093701177109|
|B2HB 35||7538094||7538094401003101 to 7538094701446103|
|Vitodens 222-F||B2TB 19||7542250||7542250401001100 to 7542250401210106|
|B2TB 35||7542251||7542251401001107 to 7542251701257105|
Boilers which have a yellow sticker applied to the boiler rating plate located on the left side of the boiler cover have already undergone a heat exchanger replacement and are not subject to this recall.
Consumers with recalled boilers are advised to contact the installer or the wholesaler/distributor from whom they purchased the boiler or Viessmann Manufacturing immediately in order to schedule a free boiler safety inspection.
For more information, please view the Health Canada alert. Source: https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/news/certain-models-vitodens-200-w-and-vitodens-222-f-boilers-recalled-due-carbon-monoxide-hazard
Miles Industries Ltd. recalls H5 Series Fireplaces
Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, and Miles Industries Ltd. have issued a joint recall of H5 Series Fireplaces.
This recall involves natural gas and propane H5 Series Fireplace models 1100 and 1150 installed with certain 3 and 4-sided fireplace trim (model numbers 1135, 1140, 1145, 1149 or 1184).
Click here for further details.
TFT SAFETY RECALL
Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission and NY Thermal Inc. have issued a joint recall of NTI Trinity Tft Gas-Fired Hot Water Boilers. This applies to certain model numbers with serial numbers ranging from 1000 to 115541. The affected products were sold in Canada and the United States from October 7, 2011 to January 24, 2018. Details are available on the Health Canada website.
The hazard is related to the deterioration of the grommet seal which, in certain cases, could potentially permit the escape of low levels of carbon monoxide.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled boilers and contact their installer to have an upgrade kit installed. The upgrade kit will need to be installed by a licensed gas contractor and certified gas fitter. The company will pay the installer to complete the upgrade. The upgrade is estimated to take approximately 10 minutes, and does not require the disconnection of the exhaust venting, gas or water lines.
For additional information, consumers may contact NTI toll-free at 1-800-688-2575 from 7 am to 7 pm EST Monday through Friday, or through the company’s website.
Natural gas appliances have open flames connected to powerful fuel supplies.
While properly installed and maintained appliances seldom present a danger, regular inspection and maintenance ensures your family’s safety and efficient operation.
What to do if you smell gas
Natural gas is odorless, but a small amount of scent is added to make it easily detectable. If you smell rotten eggs, hear gas hissing or know you have damaged a gas pipe:
- Stop what you’re doing.
- Get all family members out of the house.
- DO NOT use cell phones, light switches, matches, cigarettes or create any other source of ignition.
- As you leave the house, leave the door open.
- Get everyone far from the building until the emergency is contained.
- Call 911 or the natural gas emergency line for your area with a land line (not a cell phone):
- Edmonton and area: 780-420-5585
- Calgary and area: 403-245-7222
- All other areas: 1-800-511-3447
- Always hire licensed mechanical contractors for installation, inspection and maintenance. Many dangers of improper installation and unsafe equipment are invisible without specialized equipment and training.
- Do not store combustible materials such as oil, gas, paper, cardboard, laundry near gas appliances.
- Remember that gas appliances have open flames. Never use combustible materials such as paints, solvents and glues near gas appliances.
- As with all open flames, natural gas appliances require a constant supply of oxygen. Ensure a qualified professional has confirmed a supply of “make-up” air so that a) the air your family breaths will not be oxygen-depleted and b) the open flame will not flare out of the appliance in search of scarce oxygen.
- Know where you gas supply shut-off valves are located. The gas is off when the handle is perpendicular to the gas pipe. The gas is on when the handle is in line with the gas pipe.
- As with all flames, natural gas appliances produce exhaust. Exhaust from natural gas (Carbon-Monoxide) is odorless, invisible and poisonous to humans. Carbon-monoxide is especially dangerous due to the way it first induces drowsiness. Install carbon-monoxide detectors near your appliances and sleeping quarters. Have a professional inspect your appliance and ventilation for leaks and cracks in the exhaust system.
- Be watchful for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning including:
- Headache and dizziness
- Fatigue and weakness
- Watering and burning eyes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of muscle control
- Gas appliance service and installation is not a handyman project. Always use a licensed professional.
- Call before you dig, clear or tear down structures.