Expert Boiler Service -How to Prevent Boiler Breakdowns
The boiler repairs are the procedures through which you restore the structural and functional integrity of the device nearly to its original condition. It may involve refurbishing and replacement of parts, accessories, and other components. Post repair maintenance plays a vital role in extending the lifespan of the boiler and its components to the maximum possible time.
Avoiding boiler breakdowns requires planned maintenance procedures. They can be categorized into periodical and preventive types. The service engineer can give you the checklist for the first set of procedures. For example, you can consider checking of pipes, valves, heating element, fuel tank, control panel, etc. Cleaning of parts like the heat exchanger, oil filter, nozzle, vent, etc. is one of the maintenance procedures. Oil change, tightening of joints and replacement of parts is also a part of the regular maintenance.
Preventive maintenance starts with continued monitoring of the boiler parts and its functionality. The boiler breakdowns don’t happen abruptly.
By using the latest technology and diagnostic tools, it is possible to detect the signs of fatigue. It is also possible to predict the nature, intensity and the probable time of failure. Hence, you can take the preventive care by repairing or replacing the components and parts just in time. The qualified service engineer can help you with cost-effective services and durable replacements.
- Leaks: leaks are one of the initial symptoms you can observe. They may result from loose pipe fittings, rusted parts, damages screw threads, defective parts, etc. Most of the leaks start from the joints. They may begin as a trickle and end up as breaks and blasts. Hence, regular inspection plays a vital role in detection and repair of the leaks. External leaks are easy to detect. But those internal leaks which happen within the boiler may become visible only when they have reached the critical stages. Hence, you will need the services of a qualified service engineer to inspect the boiler and perform the maintenance procedures.
- Pressure Variation:
- Temperature Variation: Low or excessive heating at a preset temperature may surprise you initially. When left untreated, it can turn into a catastrophic situation for the safety and functionality.
- Unusual Noise:
- No Heating: The boiler stops heating the water. Sometimes you may get to see the error code on the temperature display if your system has the device. The probable causes could be heating element, heat exchanger, fuel supply, spark ignition, etc. You should know where to start the diagnosis and the path to identify the defect early. An experienced service engineer can detect the cause and fix it within the shortest time safely.
- No Pressure: The outflow from the boiler stops. Sometimes you may observe strange noises within the boiler that indicate water-clogging within the interiors. The probable causes could be defects in the inlet valve, pressure valve, safety valve or the outlet valve. Check for any internal or external leaks. After identifying the cause, you can take measures to repair or replace the parts and accessories.
- Frozen Pipe: Condensation happens in the pipe (especially during winter) when the heat exchanger /thermostat has failed. Some of the known symptoms are water clogging, internal pressure buildup, etc. The replacement/repair of the heat exchanger could be one of the solutions. The service engineer will be able to determine the exact cause and fix it.
Replacing the failing components and accessories can help prevent the breakdown. In this aspect, you may choose between the DIY procedures and the service from a specialist. The feasibility of your choice depends on the size of the boiler, number of outlets and applications, design complexity, etc. The recommended method is to call an experienced service engineer and get the problem fixed. This approach has many benefits.
- Parts’ Quality: The servicemen can replace the broken/defective components with high-quality spare parts that last longer. Since they know the compatibility of each joint, valve, and the piping system with the replaced parts, the selection is simple and fast.
- Precision Diagnosis: The experts can diagnose the right components in the boiler based on the symptoms they observe. They can identify the cause and the trusted solution. They don’t prescribe quick fixes that may lead to long-term risks.
- The solutions from the repair and maintenance experts are always practical and dependable. Sometimes, you may feel they are expensive. But the cost you pay for the onetime repair or replacement can help prevent the potential risks for the device and the safety of your family.
Repair Vs. Replacement
The choice between repair and replacement of a component depends on the damage /defect nature, intensity, probable repair method, probable restoration of integrity (structural and functional), durability, safety, efficiency, etc. If any of the parameters proves to be below the ASTM standards, it is safer to replace.
In some other instances, the intensity and nature of the above-listed parameters could be high. Then you can opt for the repair to keep the expenses under control.